You may know that Botox® in Naperville can make your face look younger, but you may not realize it can also be used to relieve many kinds of pain, from headaches to TMJ dysfunction. Dr. Angela Planer, a member of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, can use Botox injections to:
- Soften the look of fine lines and wrinkles so you look younger
- Lessen the number and severity of migraine headaches, a treatment approved by the FDA in 2010
- Keep you from clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth in your sleep, habits that can damage your smile and affect the function of your jaw
- Relieve the jaw tension and pain associated with TMJ disorders
To see if you’d benefit from Botox treatments, call 630-369-6818 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Planer.
Get Relief Through Relaxation of Facial Muscles
Though a number of factors can contribute to TMJ disorders, many of those who suffer from this condition clench their jaw and/or grind their teeth during the night. These involuntary behaviors put pressure on your jaw that results in symptoms like chronic facial pain, earaches, and headaches. Botox helps by blocking the nerve responses that lead to these behaviors and relaxing your jaw to relieve tension and give it a chance to heal.
The process typically involves receiving a few small injections in your masseter, a powerful muscle in your jaw. This process is:
- Comfortable – You shouldn’t experience more than a mild sting when receiving treatment, and there is no lingering discomfort.
- Quick – The entire process can usually be completed in 20 minutes or less.
- Long Lasting – The beneficial effects of Botox treatments usually last three to six months.
Lessen the Appearance of Fine Lines & Wrinkles
Similar to how Botox treatment blocks nerve impulses that cause involuntary grinding and clenching, it can also stop muscle contractions that cause wrinkles. It is especially effective for:
- Frown lines between your eyebrows
- “Crow’s feet” at the corners of your eyes
- Lines on your forehead
For Botox in Naperville, call Naper Dental Center at 630-369-6818.